We are using Apache Camel to perform most of our ETLs. We are also using NodeRed for small things. For WebSphere MQ, I don’t think that it is possible to connect to the MQ using the IBM native protocol via NodeRed. So we will do this with Camel.
ElastAlert is a very nice package that can be installed on top of the ELK stack. It is a free replacement of the X Pack watcher product. The basic idea of the package is to use rules defined as yaml file in order to describe each alerting rule. You will find a nice introduction of the package possibilities here.
Elastic Search released the version 6.1 of its stack, and once again there are a tons of good new things but this is once again a disappointment for developers writing plugins for Kibana. Once again the compatibility is broken and the code has to be changed. This is painful and I stopped writing plugins for it. I will probably still port the traffic lights plugin for it. (I already have 3 different versions of it, one per Elastic flavour)
We already made a few blogs on Cassandra and Kairos DB. Unfortunately, the recipes used to build the cluster via docker-compose are no longer working with new versions of docker. You will find below a working docker-compose using version 3 of the docker-compose system that builds a three nodes Cassandra cluster.
Using python in amazon web service lambdas can be tricky in the following scenarios.
- There are some dependencies that are not included in the aws python lambda executor
- There are some dependencies that require binaries (Packages such as numpy, sklearn e.t.c.)
For the first topic it is still possible to develop on your laptop and to send the lambda via s3. For dependencies with binaries you have to work with a real ec2.
Personal VPNs can be really useful in the following scenarios:
- You want to secure your connection because you are using a free internet hotspot.
- You want to access forbidden sites such as google from countries that block it.
- You want to use a service that is not available in your country and that has an IP geo location filter